Monday 8 March 2021

Father and son team to take on BXCC Trophy challenge


Reece and Sean Mathieson will be making their Britpart BXCC driving debut this year when they compete in the BXCC Trophy in their ex-Mike Wilson Land Rover Freelander.

Reece and Dad Sean have both co-driven in the BXCC, Reece with the car's former owner and Sean with John Pickering in a Land Rover Discovery.

"I got into rallying in 2018 and my passion for motorsport really grew having followed my Dad's interest and participation in the BXCC and hill rallies," said Reece. "Things really took off for me in 2019 when I was asked to co-drive for Mike Wilson at Sweet Lamb when I was aged 19. I knew then that I really had to find a car for us to compete as a father and son team."

"With Mike buying a new car the opportunity arose to buy the Freelander and it was too good to turn down. We've made a handful of small modifications and we've done a little bit of testing but nothing like the terrain we'll be racing on in the BXCC."

"Our plan is to dual drive and share the runs and events between us. This should help both the competition against the other crews and between ourselves to see who sets the fastest times and, more importantly, who takes home the bragging rights!"

"The car will be supported by Glazier Leaper Welding and Fabrication, Powerflex and Demon Tweeks. It's daunting but exciting, there's going to be a lot to learn for us both. We can't wait to get out there!"