Sunday 15 May 2011

Harry narrowly misses out on class win

Bangor on Dee rally driver Harry Morgan narrowly missed out on class victory in last weekend’s Plains rally when he finished just ten seconds behind the winner.

The Welshpool-based event was round 4 of the BTRDA RF 1.0 championship and going in to the rally Harry was lying in third place on the leaderboard.

The rally kicked off with four stages in Dyfi and Gartheiniog forests and Harry made a flying start, setting fastest time on all the tests to take a lead of 35 seconds.

“I was delighted with my start to the event,” said Harry, “I wanted to try and improve on my previous best position of second in class so I pushed hard right from the beginning of stage one.”

“The stages were very testing with some huge drops on the edges of the forest tracks but I kept my foot down and pulled out a decent lead.”

Harry’s lead was cut to 20 seconds in the stage five, Hafren and then in stage six, which was a repeat of an earlier stage, he dropped to second place despite setting a time 11 seconds faster than his first run.

With just the popular Woodyard spectator stage remaining Harry was two seconds behind the leader and despite going as fast as he could he was unable to overhaul the leader.

“I gave it my all and couldn’t push any more. The guy who won is a very experienced rally driver and I think my lack of experience cost me. I am very pleased to be challenging for class wins though and hopefully we will get to the top of the leaderboard before the season is finished.”

“The stages were fantastic, there were lots of downhill sections which are good for our little 1.0 litre cars and there were some very slippy places were I could slide the car through the corners. Thanks for the organisers and marshals for a top event and special thanks to Sasha Heriot for co-driving, she did a brilliant job.”

The result moves Harry up to second in the RF 1.0 championship and his next event will be the Quinton Stages in July. Please visit www.harryrally.co.uk for all the latest news and pictures.

Image courtesy Simon Clarke